Friday 5 June 2015

Jean genie

So the news this week is that I spent an incredible amount of time removing a piece of Special K from the Prince's ear. He somehow managed to wedge a piece of the cereal right inside while watching Superman.
This is him before Cereal Ear Saga.


I thought about tweezers for swift removal of said brittle flake but decided against it. I am, after all, the girl who was taken into hospital at the age of ten after sticking a plastic bead in her ear and having an operation to remove it from her ear drum.
I couldn't work how to get the cereal out without pushing it in further, but then I remembered my brother getting a beetle in his ear as a kid and me pouring a massive jug of water into his lughole and the beetle swimming out in the torrid tsunami.
It worked a treat. Said Special K whooshed out, the Prince could hear again. And I could relax. Until Sweet Child fell off a wooden cart in the garden and grazed her chin. With never ending blood.
Half term.
Such sweet words.
End of half term. 
Even sweeter.
Don't get me wrong, we have actually had a blast as the Husband had the whole week off.
But the house was trashed when the kids returned to school. So the first day back, I decided to thoroughly clean the house. As in deep clean. I decided to wear the husband' old jeans to do this.
Now, I haven't worn my own jeans for 26 months. They just don't fit from the moment I got pregnant til now. So I donned male jeans and cleaned all day. Bleached meself happy, so I did.
Then I threw a coat on and dashed to do the school run.
One mum at the school gate nodded to the fact I was wearing jeans. I explained why. She said she had never seen me in jeans before. I let it go. Was my attire really that noticeable?
Then another mum came up to me and over egged the pudding on the whole "Oh! You are wearing jeans" spiel.
I again pointed out they were my husband's denim slacks which I was wearing as I had been grafting all day.
She then said "It doesn't look right, you wearing jeans. You usually wear pretty dresses or skirts. It doesn't really suit you does it?"
Speechless. Did Levi Strauss ever have to put up with this crap?
I then collected the kids and slouched home in my obviously unflattering kecks and soon forgot about it.
Three hours later a friend dropped by, wanting me to tighten the back of her baby sling while her toddler slept on her back. We were on the doorstep, chatting and I told her about my jeans saga after SHE also noted I was wearing jeans.
I told her why I was wearing them and what the other mums had said and how it made me feel.
And she said "I think it's because you usually look so glam with nice clothes and make up on."
Which didn't really help my mood!
So I may well go another 26 months without wearing jeans...
Moving on, the Prince is six today.
He has gone from this:


To this:


He ate birthday cake for breakfast and told us he felt at least seven years old.


I love this boy so much and am very proud of him.

Right, next blog post, charity finds, I promise....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gem, please dont take those comments as a criticism that you were wearing jeans. I wear jeans all. The. Time. But i would love to be able to carry off the lovely skirts and dresses other ladies and yourself wear. Im sure the schoolgate mums didnt realise they were being upsetting ir offensive, its probably that they too were envious of your personal style. We other mums arent always the most tactful though are we? And ive turned up on the school run i. Far worse than illfitting husbpband's jeans ( which, apoarently, are becoming all the rage!) x Karen Rel x

Anonymous said...

I think it is more a case that you have set your own high standards - "I think it's because you usually look so glam with nice clothes and make up on." - That's a bit of a compliment isn't it?

Besides, did you really look so good in a pair of tatty jeans that were old, probably too big and belonging to your husband, instead of a pair that fitted you like a glove? Probably not. Would any of us? I don't think so. So cheer up, it really isn't so bad. Apart from nosy people who have far to much to say about what you are wearing and too many opinions about it and a way of expressing them that is rude. But that is another matter altogether.

sandiart said...

Happy birthday Prince, 6 !! .....I'm pretty sure you would look glam in a potato sack, so don't take any notice Sandi xxxx

Gem said...

Take no notice of them, you wear what you feel comfortable in, what does it matter what anyone else thinks, you are certainly not there to please them.
6, how did that even happen? Madness! Happy Birthday little one (even though you are a big boy now, well apart from the cereal incident, not the best of ideas I must say haha) x x x

Missy said...

Oh my God! The Prince is an actual boy! Not a baby any more. Time goes so fast when you see babies growing up.
Mrs, you still look as glamoire as ever to me, so take no notice of the silly cows. Yolo!
xx

Unknown said...

How i got my boyfriend back.Am Stacey Bruno by name I never believed in love spells or magic until I met this spell caster once when i went to see my friend in Indian this year on a business summit. I meant a man who's name is Dr ATILA he is really powerful and could help cast spells to bring back one's gone, lost, misbehaving lover and magic money spell or spell for a good job or luck spell .I'm now happy & a living testimony cos the man i had wanted to marry left me 5 weeks before our wedding and my life was upside down cos our relationship has been on for 3years. I really loved him, but his mother was against us and he had no good paying job. So when i met this spell caster, i told him what happened and explained the situation of things to him. At first i was undecided,skeptical and doubtful, but i just gave it a try. And in 7 days when i returned to Canada, my boyfriend (now husband) called me by himself and came to me apologizing that everything had been settled with his mom and family and he got a new job interview so we should get married. I didn't believe it cos the Dr ATILA only asked for my name and my boyfriends name and all i wanted him to do. Well we are happily married now and we are expecting our little kid, and my husband also got the new job and our lives became much better. His email is: atilahealinghome@yahoo.com or call him +2347067607073

sirwilliamssmith said...

I never believed in love spells or magic until i met this spell caster when i went to Africa in February this year on a business summit. I meant a man who’s name is DR. Kabaka. he is really powerful and could help cast spells to bring back one’s gone, lost, misbehaving lover and magic or spell for a good job or luck spell .I’m now happy & a living testimony cos the man i had wanted to marry left me 3 weeks before our wedding and my life was upside down cos our relationship has been on for 6years. I really loved him, but his mother was against us and he had no good paying job. So when i met this spell caster, i told him what happened and explained the situation of things to him. At first i was undecided, skeptical and doubtful, but i just gave it a try. And in 7 days when i returned to usa, my boyfriend (now husband) called me by himself and came to me apologizing that everything had been settled with his mom and family and he got a new job interview so we should get married. I didn’t believe it cos the spell caster only asked for my name and my boyfriends name and all i wanted him to do. Well we are happily married now and we are expecting our little kid, and my husband also got the new job and our lives became much better. His email drkabakaspiritualtemple@gmail.com :or call +2349015857861