Tuesday 24 July 2012

Didn't we almost have it all?

(apologies, my blog font has gone kerazee. I didn't touch a thing I promise. Bear with.... and try to ignore the weird white strip text)

Oh my gaaaaaad - last week I thought my life was about to change completely.

Did you read about this in the news?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2172609/Philip-Treacy-Pensioner-bags-potential-fortune-picking-designer-handbag-just-20-charity-shop.html?ito=feeds-newsxml 


What a total bargain. As a lover of cherry tree shops (that is charity shops to my fab new followers), I was seriously impressed with such a bargainous...bargain.


Well my eyes were quite literally on stalks.


Because..........




The husband bought me one a couple of Christmasses ago. OMG (keeping down with the kids there, take note) I couldn't believe he had actually done something right for once.


The bag was worth up to £350,000 and I had one???!!! A BIGGER one than the one featured in the press?









I started planning my big spend. The Princess and I had a wonderful evening discussing what we would do with the money. She wanted a shed load of Haribo sweets and a new DS game, I was thinking of bigger and better.


I contacted Philip Treacy and rubbed my hands with glee.


Then my bubble burst with one loud pop. No, call it a bang.


The head of PR for the designer said the bag isn't as rare as the national papers made out, 100 were made of each design (which I still don't think is exactly mass produced) and the story wasn't true. No one at Philip Treacy had confirmed the bag would reach so much money.


The head of PR apologised and said she was sorry to disappoint me and my beautiful daughter (the Princess was well chuffed with that bit). 


A few have gone on Ebay but they aren't selling for more than a hundred or two....still, I can dream. Oh the dreaming was amazing fun. £350,000 isn't a massive lot of money but it would have sorted me right out thank you very much. I lead such a simple life!


The other exciting thing that happened to me this week was when I stumbled into my local cherry tree shop.


And saw this.






I nearly died and went to heaven. 75p each! I usually fork out a pound so I was thrilled. I found three Ladybird books that I don't currently have and took them to the till, smug as you like (told you my world was simple).


The sweet old lady at the till looked at the books and said: "Goodness! 75p for a Ladybird book?!"


I could see her point, it was pretty cheap all things considered.  I nodded, delighted with my new books to add to the stash.


"Ridiculous, I shall let you have all three for a pound, but keep that quiet," she added with a wink.


Oh I couldn't have been happier. Here are the new additions.








My sis just bought a chaise longue. This is for you Binty!
 It meant that I had money left over for this little cake stand. Oh it is so cute. £2.50 from Scope.


Of course I ate them all.....
 We've also seen the Olympic torch pass through town. My friend Lisa and I and our kids (five in total) battled the gales and rain last week. We were so wet our clothes were soaked under our RAIN macs....(which soooo didn't do their job).

The kids loved it. It was over in a flash but they loved it!




I have a silly gimpy face but I love our non-working rain macs!
The weather this evening couldn't be more different. The sea was like a millpond and there was a weird orange aura. Everything was calm. Peaceful. Serene... (til the Prince needed the loo and weed on my foot but we won't go there).




Happy kids. 8.30pm this evening.


I sat there, Cappucino in hand, watching the kids playing happily and realised that what we have is priceless. My bag may never be worth what I dreamed it would be, but it doesn't matter. Because everything I need is right here*.




*Except a giant Toblerone, but you can't have it all.



10 comments:

Charis said...

Ha ha, loved this post Gem!

What's your address? I'll send you a giant toblerone! ;)

Cuckoo said...

Yep, you have everything you need already. Lush feeling hey.

I loved that snow white and rose red book. The vintage woman in the local farm shop was selling it for, wait for it, £15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I'd got it. Even at that price. I'd love to get my mitts on Rumplestiltskin.

xxx

Grateful4Crochet said...

This is an adorable post!!!
Sucks about the almost scoring big money, but i loved the end of your post!!!
Once I thought I had scratched $100 000 on an instant scratchit, and kept thinking, no, this cant be real, and yes, it wasnt, I had miscounted!!!
But for the seconds where I beloved, it was awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a bummer with the bag!trust the papers to get it all wrong ;) Like you say though money cant buy what you have,fabbo family,etc.
Oh My,I think I would have had a heart attack if Id seen all those Ladybirds and what a price!
Brilliant bargain,much love juliexxx

Tracy ~ If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Baked A Cake said...

You wouldn't believe it I have been trying to get my hands on these ladybird books for years I managed to get the Picture book the one I had as a child I always keep my eye out but nothing. Seriously 75p I would go back and buy them all if I was you. Tracy

YarnRoundHook said...

Oooo, Snow White and Rose Red was my fav as a child - didn't you buy it?
Shame about the bag... you'd have been able to buy all the ladybird books then!

Andi's English Attic said...

Even so, £100 would buy a lot of Haribos. xx

Sarah Jane said...

Aaaah vintage ladybirds 3 for £1!!! How did you not swipe the lot? I would have in a heartbeat. Imagine the discounts you would have got then!;) I'm so jealous. I loved the Garden Gang stories :) x

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Honestly the Daily Mail is such a ridiculous paper - I saw that story and thought it seemed a very high figure (more than Hermes seemed insane) but assumed they'd done their research. I can imagine how excited you must have been! It's still a great bag though so well done to the Mr.

My blog is also putting random white highlighting in, it's very annoying. If you go into the html bit of when you're editing a post, look for a tag which says something like 'background colour white' and you can remove it from there. I have no idea WHY it's doing it though.

. said...

Sweet Lord, we had all the vegetable garden books when the kids were little, Sally Strawberry (bit of a moaner), the Broad Bean Twins (with facial hair not unlike Carlos the Jackal's I seem to remember).. the kids loved them! We also used to add our own food people too, I remember the Wild Strawberries were a gang of tiny red thugs with leather jackets and flick knives, the Keystone Cucumbers looked after law enforcement and the whole garden 'Manor' was run by two evil lobsters called "The Crays". The joys of having a Cockney geezer for a husband!