Friday 7 October 2011

Produce from the orchard of cherry trees

I've just finished the articles I needed to write today so I thought it was a good time to update the good old blog.

I've had horrid sinus infections twice recently which have worn me out. But facial steaming is the key and so I enter that little steamy nirvana twice a day. Other than that, I'm tickety boo and have visited loads of charity shops!

I am thrilled to have finally got a place on the Breastfeeding Network course. I start in January and then once I am qualified, I will work as a volunteer on the maternity wards and help all the new mums. I am so passionate about this and am seriously excited. There is a creche so my Prince can come with me (he rarely leaves my side anyway) so it's all good news.

The past week or so has been jam packed. We've had a family picnic in the blazing heat by a creek in the countryside which was amazing.

Anna, the Prince and myself. Basking in the sun and scoffing


The husband and I


I love this pic so much! It was scorching and the kids refused to wear a hat


We also went to a lovely wedding evening do, just the husband and I. We danced our pants off all night. The venue was the stately home where we had our wedding breakfast nine years ago, right next door to our little family church where my parents married, we married, we were all christened as babies and now where my grandparents are buried. It evoked wonderful memories and as we strolled around the grounds, we wondered where the past few years have gone. And where we will be in the next nine. I had a slight wobble thinking of my grandparents lying near by, but the husband helped me through the tough times and we ended up having a ball. He is a marvel and I often take his kindness and gentleness for granted, which I must try not to do.

Last Sunday I became godmother to Cuckoo's baby boy and we scoffed cream teas afterwards in a stunning location with the sun beating down on our backs (cake and sun are in my top five fave things). Since then, we have had friends round for an informal dinner, Evil Tuesday turned out to be rather pleasant, the Princess went to several houses for tea which freed me up no end and I am totally on top of all my chores. I feel light. This is rare.

So, what have I bought since I last blogged?

I am loving this Union Jack place mats and coasters. £2.99 from Lidl. Absolute bargain.









I bought this gorgeous jug from Barnardo's on Wednesday (£2.49 originally Sainsbury's). I remember seeing it in Sainsbury's and deciding not to splurge my cash. Now I am thrilled to pick it up cheaply.


My dear friend French Sophie (I call her this to differentiate between her and another Sophie I know) bought me a dozen roses for my birthday and they have lasted well - I am down to the last four!



I bought the Princess this purple dress for £3.99 from Oxfam. I truly love it, as does she. It was only from George originally but it is tres cute and great quality. Remind me of a Quality Street (or is it Roses...)



 I also bought this Boden blouse, to sling on with jeans for the school run. A fiver from Oxfam. Not bad, not bad (said in Spikey's voice from Notting Hill.)



And last night we had friends for dinner.


Nothing fancy, just good wholesome grub


I used the sparkling tealight holder that my parents bought us as a housewarming gift. I'd wanted it for so long but as a thrifty kind of gal, it was too expensive.



So all in all it's been pretty hectic and busy but lovely. Tomorrow the husband has the day off and so we are going to indulge in some precious family time. Last weekend we were rushing around like mad things. I love the calmer, peaceful times so I reckon it will involved good walks, perhaps a cream tea and an evening snuggle in front of a DVD once the kids are in bed.

Oh and a lie in for me tomorrow as he will be up early to watch the rugby! Bliss. I am so looking forward to a long doze.



9 comments:

Missy said...

I'm well jel of that jug! Pink and spots and bargaintastic! Love it. The sparkly tealight holder is tickling my fancy too and if it was a tad (allright a lot) bigger, I'd nick The Princess's dress and wear it with white linen trousers.
Sounds like you're been enjoying the sun, good job you made the most of it now it's turned a bit monkey.
Happy and relaxing weekend!
xx

koralee said...

Everything is so lovely here today...I love your English ways...and those union jacks are adorable. Happy weekend.

Unknown said...

wow,wow,love all your new finds and your tealight holder looks stunning,sounds like you need a relaxing weekend.
Fab news about your breastfeeding course,good luck x
xx Manda xx

Grateful4Crochet said...

I've missed your regular posts,so glad you're back!
Congrats on finishing the articles.
Love the pink jug, and your house looks so lovely and welcoming!
Love the candles, and the tealight holder as well!!
We are having a fairy party for my youngest fourth birthday tomorrow- I would be tempted to put candles out- but just don't think I can trust four year old fairies
Hope your lie in is super relaxing!!

Grateful4Crochet said...

Oops, forgot to say congrats on the breastfeeding course- that's great. I can remember having a volunteer who was fantastic, kind, and really helped me when I had lost my confidence in hospital due to a horrid nurse telling em I was doing it all wrong, and grabbing my boob roughly to show me how, and actually really hurting me!!
I am sure you will be fabulous!!!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I am charmed my dear to ENTER into your home. The candles, the cheers and that FABULOUS PINK PITCHER!!! OHHHHHH!!!!

I wish you healing and relaxation this weekend my dear! I AM CREATING because my work week is a frazzling mess!!! ENJOY! Anita

Sarah said...

Ah sweetie, sorry you've not been well, sinus infections can make you feel poo.

Congrats on getting on the breastfeeding course!!

Love the spotty jug and I want a purple frock like the Princesses!!

Your kitchen and table look lovely, so cosy and inviting!!

hugs,

S x

Anonymous said...

Hi Gem, Well done on the breastfeeding couse!!
Your table and room looks so cosy and inviting.LOVE that Boden top and the spotty jug,great bargains.Enjoy your weekend,hun,take care juliexx

Unknown said...

Good on you for taking on the breastfeeding support work. You sound like you're mega busy already so I completely admire you for giving up your spare time to do it. The table looks so inviting for dinner - chilli? Looks yum. I love having proper food when catch up with friends - anything too fancy just feels like trying too hard. So when can I bring Andrew round for dins with you both? Before the sleepover at mine or after? :-)
Gorgeous photo of you and the fam again. Hope you're having a lovely weekend - missed your regular updates xxx